Re: newbie: using id's or total desciption

From: FD Góngora Acién <davidgongora_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 May 2003 01:06:43 -0700

(English is not my natural language)

Desing is not a straight line, as you say. Front my point of view You have to take into account:

  1. One customer should be an ID (VAT - Code). I think that legally the VAT is enough.
  2. If you want to have the ability to change the delivery informatíon for each invoice you can save that information with the invoice, or even better prepare another table. In one table you have ID , name, VAT and link to that table you can have many delivery places in another table for each ID, for each one of these you have another ID(Delivery).
  3. Doing these (having IDs in stead of text) you improve the quality of information for statistical use.
  4. But always you have to see if the way you desing is operational for the people.
  5. Having ID's will force you to always join tables, of this you will have a lower answer speed.
  6. ..... And many many more implications

David Received on Sat May 03 2003 - 10:06:43 CEST

Original text of this message