Re: The BOOLEAN data type

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 22:18:50 -0500

"Lauri Pietarinen" <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com> wrote in message news:e9d83568.0304022344.1e50822b_at_posting.google.com...

> > You should really go read up on good old Dijsktra, he knew a few things
> > about programming ...
> >
> > Google for EWD1284
>
> Thanks! Does anybody know if EWD contributed any
> database stuff? Strange that he does not mention databases
> in his keynote.

Whether he wrote anything specific to databases is unknown to me, but he wrote tons of stuff applicable to databases including his most famous stuff like shortest path and critical sections/concurrency. In fact, I am sure almost everything he wrote could have some relevance to database management systems, since these systems generally comprise one or more program -- among other things.

Simply by searching for Codd and Dijkstra I quickly found this: http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/context/88414/0

Searching the index at http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/indexBibTeX.html I found no mentions of the term database. I do not know what the dutch would be. Searching for "calculus", I got the following likely relevant hits:

EWD418
EWD863
EWD905
EWD910
EWD912
EWD928
EWD949
EWD969
EWD982
EWD1001
EWD1002
EWD1060
EWD1061
EWD1114 Received on Fri Apr 04 2003 - 05:18:50 CEST

Original text of this message