Re: Simple linking table question

From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+nr_at_eunetnorge.no>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:07:56 +0100

71062.1056_at_compuserve.com (--CELKO--) writes:

> Give me a reference to this standard.

It's not a standard, or a strict rule. It's a convention that we've been using on USENET "forever". It's described in the Q&A forum of the newsgroup news.newusers.questions. You find it on the web at the URL <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nnqlinks.html>. Quoting is addressed in <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html>.

> I always thought I was pretty good about pruning things down to a
> human sized email and putting my replies with the appropriate text.

You are good at that. It's just that the way you mark which text is quoted from the original posting is difficult to follow, for two reasons: you do it differently from everybody else, and the strings you use to indicate quotation are embedded in the text, and are thus difficult to spot.

(Notice how obvious the context of my comments in this posting is, and how I only quote the bits I'm actually commenting on.)

-tih

--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no  T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901