From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:03:36 -0500

Steve,

My idea of a useful logical data model is one that costs less to own, is easier to learn, reduces the risk of human error and requires fewer expert level users to maintain. I am astounded you would have a different idea of utility.

There are three levels of discourse: conceptual, logical and physical.

The conceptual level of discourse involves information understood by humans but not necessarily in a form suitable for machine processing.

The logical level of discourse involves abstract data in a form suitable for machine processing but not limited to the properties of any particular machine.

The physical level of discourse involves an actual machine or machine type.

A multiset model requiring knowledge of physical properties of a particular machine or machine type is not strictly speaking a logical model--it combines both logical and physical into one. The problems introduced by doing this are legion.

For instance, some information is only accessible implicitly from the position of some other data. This means that a dbms based on such a model must manage both data and position--it's really a dbPms. Users must know how to access both data and position. Both the dbms and the users require a more complex language to manipulate and communicate both data and position. The requirement to maintain both data and position means the dbms has fewer options for optimizing data access and for optimizing position access. For example, the requirement to manage position limits the transformations available for rewriting data access queries.

Given the additional complexity, users will require greater expertise to successfully use the DBMS and will always face an increased risk of error.