From: Lauri Pietarinen <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 19:53:17 +0200

>Don't you find it remarkable that most
>people who
>claim that bags makes things much more difficult are the ones who have
>never
>have done any real research on query optimiziation or built a full
>scale
>query optimizer? I don't. In that respect Ullman, Widom and Molina can
>run circles around Date whose expertise in this area is very shallow,
>to say the least.

I can confess to not have done any research on optimization or ever built a DBMS or even part of
it. As such I don't have very much authority on this.

But I would like to point out that Hugh Darwen was one of the main architects for a RDBMS
product in the early 80's and he clearly agrees with Date as far as I can tell.

I am just trying to get a hold on this matter, what is it exactly that Date get's wrong or missunderstands.
Are they trying to achieve different goals? Maybe my head is a bit
thick but I am not
convinced.

best regards,
Lauri Pietarinen Received on Sat Feb 15 2003 - 18:53:17 CET

Original text of this message