Re: modelling history in a database

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:34:48 -0000

"Alan Gutierrez" <> wrote in message news:GVh3a.10623$ [snip]
> The DDL history tables assoicated triggers and past views are all
> genrated by a Perl script. Becasue it is so easy to create history
> tables, I maintain them for all the tables in my application.

Do you use a trigger to populate your Trasnsaction table, or is it an application thing? If the latter then that makes your database application specific, which is a shame.

I can do it with triggers in DB2 if I use CURRENT TIMESTAMP as the 'transaction id'. It gets a bit messy due to the need to cater for updates through UNION ALL views and ATOMIC statements, but it could still be workable in a production system.

Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Sat Feb 15 2003 - 19:34:48 CET

Original text of this message