Re: oracle sequence numbers

From: Tibor Karaszi <tibor_not_pressed_ham_.karaszi_at_cornerstone.se>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 13:15:08 GMT

"Pablo Sanchez" <pablo_at_dev.null> wrote in message news:Xns9306A51F9C83Fpingottpingottbah_at_216.166.71.233...

> I can't see why anyone would want to use the TIMESTAMP value as
> defined by SQL-92/-99 for a sequence number when the resolution is no
> better than a second.

It can be, but that info is a bit "hidden" in the ANSI text. Below quote is from SQL:1999, foundation.

"SECOND, however, can be
defined to have a <time fractional seconds precision> that indicates the number of decimal digits
maintained following the decimal point in the seconds value, a non-negative exact numeric value."

If course, since fractions isn't mandatory and precision is implementation defines, one should be very careful...

--
Tibor Karaszi