Re: Records vs Fields

From: Bob Hairgrove <rhairgroveNoSpam_at_Pleasebigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:51:07 GMT

On 10 Jan 2003 03:52:14 -0800, pecile_at_mail.nauta.it (Ivo PECILE) wrote:

>I'm going to develop with MS SQL Server 2000 a database application
>whose data are coming from an Access 97 application.
>Data consist of a series of MDB designed with a large number of fields
>and tables (MDBs of 250-300 fields divided into 50-60 tables).

This is nearly impossible, because the *theoretical* (i.e. documented) limit on the number of fields in an Access MDB file is 255, and the practical limit is around 240 or less (due to the fact that all text columns [not "memo" columns] in a given row can only occupy a maximum of 2048 characters).

But as to the rest of your question, the process of normalisation will tend to increase the number of rows and decrease the number of fields, perhaps also increasing the number of tables (conceptually, that is).

And normalisation is ... A GOOD THING.

HTH Bob Hairgrove
rhairgroveNoSpam_at_Pleasebigfoot.com Received on Fri Jan 10 2003 - 19:51:07 CET

Original text of this message