Re: Domain Definition

From: David Cressey <info_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 15:12:18 GMT

> Should a domain or collection of values be defined solely based on a
default
> system representation of values independent of associated meaning, or
should
> semantics of the values also play a part in determining and partitioning
> domains?

I think that semantics should be considered. In particular, if comparing two values is not meaningful, because of the semantics of the underlying subject matter, then the two belong in separate domains. If comparing two values is frequently done, in the normal course of acting on the data, it's useful to treat them as coming from the same domain, if possible.

Your example with DomaA and DomB is unclear in this regard. Let me take a different example.

Social Security Numbers and Zipcodes can both be treated as 9 digit numbers, if you disregard the hyphens. Should they both be referred to a common domain, the domain of 9 digit numbers? My answer is no. I claim that referring them to the same domain obscures, rather than clarifies, the connection between the data and the subject matter. Received on Thu Jan 09 2003 - 16:12:18 CET

Original text of this message