Re: Domain Definition

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 9 Jan 2003 08:43:56 -0800

>> Should a domain or collection of values be defined solely based on
a default
system representation of values independent of associated meaning, or should
semantics of the values also play a part in determining and partition in domains? <<

I would say semantics as a vital part of a domain. Consider temperatures; it is not enough to say that the temperature is 25 degrees without giving the scale (Celsius?, Fahrenheit?, Kelvin?)

>> In other words, if two domains are equivalent in terms of the set
of values they contain, but the description or meaning of the values of at least one element of both domains differs in terms of semantics, should the domains be considered not equivalent? <<

Yes. I can measure the same thing with (x,y) or polar coordinates. Both systems will be an ordered pair of real numbers, but with totally different rules for computations. Received on Thu Jan 09 2003 - 17:43:56 CET

Original text of this message