Many instances vs. one big one

From: John Hunter <jthunter_at_nbnet.nospam.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 16:11:21 GMT

Hi Gang,

I'm looking at submitting a business case to management that will justify changing from our current structure of many oracle instances to one big instance. We currently run many separate instances (financial, sales, purchases etc...) all based on functional areas. These are all inhouse written systems. My problem with having all these instances is with trying to link data together. We need to have realtime data shared amonst the systems. Dblinks are quite slow and although materialized views have lots to offer they consume a fair amount of overhead.

Anyway, I've done some web searches looking for the pros and cons of many instances vs. one instance and have yet to find a good whitepaper on this subject.

Thanks,
-John Received on Thu Jan 02 2003 - 17:11:21 CET

Original text of this message