Re: Excelling with databases?

From: Undercover Elephant <9rowzn01i001_at_9rowzn01i001.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 11:45:18 +0000 (UTC)

"it" <it_at_it.com> wrote in message news:au3s17$oj9$1_at_news.etf.bg.ac.yu...
> Hi
> thanks to a downturn I am considering a career in DB programming so I
wonder
> do you need any special education or type of mind/talent to excel with it?
> I suppose you dont have to be very much creative but you need a strong
> logic. No numerical skills but strong concentration?
> Another question is are realtional databases her to stay or object
oriented
> are the future? But what about this new Lyee programming methodology ?
>
> thank you
>
> IT

For OODBs, consider that many started life in the early to mid 1980s (e.g. GemStone, Vbase/Ontos). Here we are almost 20 years later and they have hardly made a dent in the overall sales of database systems. Many of the vendors have repositioned their products over recent years (e.g. middle-tier caching, XML). A few years ago, some numbers were published by IDC [1]. Taking the predicted numbers for 2001, if we assume that US$1 million = 1 inch, then OODBs would be roughly 20-22 feet high. Relational would be roughly 1200-1300 feet high. For jobs, try your favourite recruitment consultancy and see how many positions they have for qualified OODB professionals (programmers/developers, database administrators, etc.) Do the same at your favourite bookshop for books on OODBs. Compare both of these to what you can find for Relational.

[1] Enterprise Database Management Systems Market Forecast and Analysis, 2000-2004. IDC Report #22542.

HTH

--
Akmal B. Chaudhri
Zone Editor, Special Projects (Eclipse, Grid, Web Services)