Re: How to create a DBMS from scratch?

From: Mark Preston <usenet_at_mpreston.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:37:57 +0000

On 20 Nov 2002 08:02:20 -0800, Anthony.Youngman_at_ECA-International.com (Anthony Youngman) wrote:

>Precisely ... which is why I said "Look at Pick". It is ABSOLUTELY
>TRIVIAL, given a XML record, to declare a Pick "table", import the
>record set, and then declare indices, search, whatever.

Anthony, as a Pick developer of far too many years standing to gloat about it, might I point out that while the development of Pick (and associated mvBase systems) databases is indeed simple and they are indeed well-suited to XML data _records_ the one thing that they are not well-suited for is XML document TREES.

In simple terms - if you can extract the data from the document tree, it is easy to use Pick and I would agree with you. However, Pick is NOT well-suited to getting that data in the first place. For that, you would be much better off IMHO with an object-based parser.

--
Mark A. Preston, The Magpie's Nest, Lancashire, UK
Email   : mark_at_magpiesnest.co.uk