Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:56:02 -0000

"Leandro Guimarăes Faria Corsetti Dutra" <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br> wrote in message news:aq5dh5$6il6e$1_at_ID-148886.news.dfncis.de...
> Paul Vernon wrote:
> > I quote
> >
> > "Now suppose the row is to be inserted into this database."
>
> Now read the following phrases and the next paragraph or two.

Yes, yes. Note the word 'presumably' and the words 'just as easily'

> You can now understand that the row is indeed to be inserted not simply
> into the database, but into a specific relation.

No. The point is that Chris & David are not saying that. The user is simply wanting to add a new proposition to the database, but without 'Orthogonal Design', the DBMS cannot always know what to do with the new proposition, because some meaning is hidden.

> It is just a matter of how to make known to both system and other
> users the constraints that would give meaning to the relations apart
> from simple meaning, thus avoiding incorrect data entry.
>
> I do think this is much ado about nothing.

If so, how do you propose to 'make known to both system and other users' such constraints?

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Mon Nov 04 2002 - 11:56:02 CET

Original text of this message