Re: relational tables and objects

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:40:52 +0100

Dm. Arapov wrote:

> sort order for relations and relations. It is also
> possible to specify if a relational table is fully sorted (i.e.
> sort_list is a key).

        As I understand it, you couldn't call that relations if they are ordered? They'd be simple tables instead…

> RTL is C++ template library. It is impossible to use it from any
> other language, because it is not a standalone engine, but part of
> compiled C++ program. The question is if C++ with RTL is D-compliant
> "language".

        I see… a question for you.

> Currently we can get duplicate rows, like in SQL they can be
> suppressed using "distinct" function. Probably it has sense to
> enforce call to the function.

        Think you lost me here…

>> Do you mean a relation or a relvar?

> Do you mean if we can modify relations other, than tables?

        No, I mean that there are relvars (relation variables, or "relational table structures") and relations (the values of relvars at given times), and they aren't the same, just as variables and values aren't the same.

> No. We can not do it currently. The technique we use (C++
> meta-programming) allows to do that, but we are not sure, if it is
> required in real life.

        I think you lost me again…

--
  _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra        +41 (21) 216 15 93