Re: Theory of Timeseries extensions to SQL and database

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.uia.ua.ac.be>
Date: 25 Oct 2002 20:47:19 +0200

David wrote:

>I did a Google search on timeseries and database and found some research
>called Sorted Relational Query Language. Also SQL-TS. I have a few questions
>beyond what I found.
>
>Does anyone know where there is reseach on the method of storing columns
>instead of relations, called inversion I believe?

Inverted files perhaps? That can be a very bad idea depending on what you are planning to do with your data.

>What I am after is an understanding of the techniques available to
>manipulate (i.e. query against) result sets as big as a 500,000*5,000
>matrix of a 2 element aray containing a unique identifier and a numeric
>value that would perform very fast.
>
>Are there any are there any implementations of SRQL or SQL-TS?

For starters:

- How sparse is your matrix?
- What are the typical queries that you want to ask?
- What happened when you tried to do it in a conventional RDMBS (with a 4
  column relation)? Did you have the proper indexes?
  • Jan Hidders