Re: Database naming convention (yet another post of it, but a bit different)

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 19:38:19 GMT

> Absolutely. Now if only we could place constraints on the system catalog
> to enforce that kind of rule (plus have proper domain support in SQL of
> course)

BTW, there is a product that supported domains in the system tables, right from version one.

It was Rdb/VMS from DEC. At the time of version one (c. 1984) it didn't even support SQL, and it called domains, "global fields"... but the support was built in, right from the git go. There are a lot of things Rdb/VMS got right.

Rdb/VMS peaked out at about 3% of the relational market share, and then got swallowed by Oracle when DEC was strapped for cash as it began its downward spiral. Oracle has kept it alive, but doesn't push it.

Maybe once VMS is migrated to Intel processors, Rdb will have a rebirth. Received on Wed Oct 09 2002 - 21:38:19 CEST

Original text of this message