Re: Nested set model with large gaps and spreads in the numbering

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 4 Oct 2002 12:56:57 -0700

>> how can you choose when you should perform the compacting? I'm
thinking of a threaded newsgroup application, one that's very, very busy (lots of posts). Eventually you need to compact, but once you compact, you end up going back to a cascading update when new posts arrive, <<

No, think about it. I am gathering all the gaps and merging them into a huge gap for new nodes on the right side of every sibling group. What would mess me up is a tree that is a right-side only binary tree -- one looooong list. In that situation I might have to clean up things every 20-30 postings.

But I am willing to bet against the worst case -- which is what we do when we use QuickSort and other algorithms. Received on Fri Oct 04 2002 - 21:56:57 CEST

Original text of this message