Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:23:44 +0100

>The relational model codified and rationalised a lot of what already
>existed in database systems, and we have built RDBMS on that theory.

The RM certainly did not 'codify' existing database systems. The whole point is that it threw away all the previous ad-hoc implementations and created a clean theory simply from EF Codd's insight of the applicability of predicate logic to database systems.

Existing systems provided the motivation, but none of the logical structures.

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Wed Oct 02 2002 - 12:23:44 CEST

Original text of this message