Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:00:10 +0100

In message <5Y0i9.96$0I3.5569_at_petpeeve.ziplink.net>, David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com> writes

>At this stage, my question is, "what makes sense, going forward?" Should a
>new language be developed, that takes on a different from SQL's mission,
>but one that overlaps SQL's mission? It sounds, from the discussion of "D"
>and its family of languages, as though the answer is "yes", at least for
>some of the important authors. If a new language is developed, is that
>going to increase or decrease the total amount of confusion generated by the
>present plethora of languages? Does anybody care?

If there is a new language it may developed for marketing rather than technical reasons. Microsoft would have a lot to gain if the next revision of C# included direct support for database manipulation. They could move a substantial chunk of the database market away from relational suppliers if they incorporated object-based storage in their next database and simultaneously in their programming languages.

--
Bernard Peek
bap_at_shrdlu.com

In search of cognoscenti