Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Nathan Allan <nathan_at_alphora.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2002 16:45:48 -0700

> You mean that some form of information index
> concerning the application logic resident elsewhere
> (in the applications software environment on the
> desktop or application server) is kept in the
> catalog?

A RM implementation must have some type of repository for such things as operators, types, variables (including relation variables) and such. This is sometimes called a "catalog" in DBMS speak.

> The logic is still "out there" in the Apps,
> is it not, at this moment in history?

What logic? The presentation logic is in the presentation layer, the storage logic is in the storage layer, etc. Ideally each of these layers is "driven" from a central definition, but they no doubt must exist!

See my other posting about the elusive "inside" concept. The DBMS is PART of the application.

BTW, sorry my other posts got stuck as replies to the root post.

--
Nathan Allan