Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Jan.Hidders <hidders_at_hcoss.uia.ac.be>
Date: 29 Aug 2002 20:24:56 +0200

In article <FXmb9.18042$g9.55843_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, mountain man <prfbrown_at_magna.com.au> wrote:

>No, my definition of this "application logic" is not restricted to the
>client application screens, or the database contraints, triggers, sprocs,
>etc. My definition would have to include the concept of "organisational
>intelligence" and if the organisation were busines oriented, then this
>would be called the "business intelligence" or "business rules".

Oh dear, I'm affraid that doesn't make it any more clear what you are talking about. The terms "business logic" and "business rules" are also often used quite loosely and the best and most exact definition is the one it gets in database theory and that is in fact again identical to the set of static and dynamic constraints for the data we already talked about. So what kind of rules are you talking about then, and why are you so sure that they cannot be modelled as database constraints? Unless you can explain this, your remarks run the risk of remaining meaningless.

  • Jan Hidders