Re: Approximate structural search in trees

From: Jan.Hidders <hidders_at_hcoss.uia.ac.be>
Date: 5 Jul 2002 19:47:22 +0200

In article <vaflm8q2jkp.fsf_at_lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>, Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann_at_CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> wrote:
>Suppose I have a collection of ordered labeled trees (vulgo XML
>documents). Suppose I have a query which finds nodes based on
>structural conditions. Further suppose that I can't expect queries
>to express the exact structural conditions, so I would like to treat
>them in a vague way.

There were two relevant presentations on that at the last WebDB workshop.

"Detecting Structural Similarities between XML Documents" by S. Flesca, G. Manco, E. Masciari, L. Pontierie and A. Pugliese.

"Evaluating Structural Similarity in XML Documents" by A. Nierman and H.V. Jagadish.

The first paper interprets trees as time series and compares them by taking Fourier transformations, and the second looks at tree edit distance. They should at least give you an idea of the current literature on this.

The papers are on-line at: http://www.db.ucsd.edu/webdb2002/papers.html

Good luck with your research, Received on Fri Jul 05 2002 - 19:47:22 CEST

Original text of this message