Re: DB clasical structure violation

From: Anthony W. Youngman <thewolery_at_nospam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:21:13 +0100

In article <hS%R8.31$0U1.3212_at_petpeeve.ziplink.net>, David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com> writes
>> And why would you suggest defective technology that was discarded 20 years
>ago?
>
>I agree with the point that hierarchical or network databases are worth
>examining. The gradual replacement of hierarchical and network DBMS
>packages by relational DBMS packages is actually an interesting history.
>It's oversimplifying to say that all those earlier databases were simply
>"defective". Many of them were quite solid. In fact, there are still
>applications today that are running under "pre relational" DBMS packages.

And, despite predating them, Pick databases are often known as "post relational". Which probably explains at least partly why they're so busy copying our stuff :-)

Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in. "Let
me through. I'm a nosey person.", she said, employing both elbows.
Maskerade : (c) 1995 Terry Pratchett