Re: DB clasical structure violation

From: 9rowzn01i001 <9rowzn01i001_at_9rowzn01i001.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 22:32:42 +0000 (UTC)

"Mariano Abdala" <DBProject_at_datafull.com> wrote in message news:aerbmd$9csgi$1_at_ID-149527.news.dfncis.de...
> Hi! My name is Mariano Abdala. I'm a 3° year student of the Palermo
> University on Systems Analisys. I'm conducting a research on how the
> clasical structure of the databases, is not allways the better option in
> terms of performance.
> The research is going great, but I need some real cases of violation
of
> the Normal Forms (and BCNF) in order to improve some [any] aspect of the
> Data Base, to support my theory. So I ask you please to help me on this. I
> would need some real databases STRUCTURES (no data) with this kind of
> violations and the reasons to implementing this.
> I would proudly name any helper in my research and any help you can
give
> me, and of course, if you like me to, I would send its complete version
once
> finished.
>
> Mostly, mostly thankful, Mariano Abdala.
>
> ( DBProject_at_datafull.com )

Perhaps the work of Dr Wagdy Youssef might interest you:

http://www.btinternet.com/~xmldatabases/html/citybm.html

His focus was on OLTP benchmarks and he developed a performance model based on 40 million transactions, several thousand applications, several thousand tables observed at three very large organisations in the UK. I know that in past discussions with him, he often mentioned that relational tables were not normalised for performance reasons. His email address is on the web page. I hope it still works. He can probably tell you a lot more.

HTH

--
akmal chaudhri

IBM developerWorks - http://www.ibm.com/developerWorks/