Re: The Foundation of OO (XDb)

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:14:34 -0400

"Topmind" <topmind_at_technologist.com> wrote in message news:4e705869.0206171151.6e02829b_at_posting.google.com...
> > What was wrong with the representation I gave?
> > I like it a lot better than yours
>
> 1. It was about food and not media libraries

Huh? You are obviously talking about something else. It was about representing Video as a data type in a dbms.

> 2. It will tend to wrap if it gets too long.
> Keeping schemas vertical makes wrap problems
> less likely (for usenet purposes).

What would wrap?

> > Why not assume user-defined type support? I assume it.
>
> Do you mean "media format types"? I did not define
> nor limit who can change what. That is an orthogonal
> issue IMO.

No, I mean user-defined type support such that Video is a data type.

> > Why should we force users to deal with filenames?
>
> This is the developer's perspective, not the users.
> I did not define nor limit user interfaces here.
> That is an orthogonal issue.

What developer is involved when a user queries a database from Excel?

> > Does the user even have access to that directory?
> > If they are absolute path names, how do we ensure all computers
> > have that drive mapped to the same drive letter?
>
> Those kind of things are going to be issues regardless
> of our development strategy.

Not if Video is simply a data type. No filenames, no paths, no hassles.

> How or where you put the
> actual media files/blobs is going to assume some platform
> or storage mechanism. It is okay if we assume
> an HTTP (web) interface for discussion purposes?

Not blobs, Video is a well-defined data type with well-defined operations. Why pretend it is nothing more than a stream of bits?

I suggest we assume what was already spelled out in my earlier post and nothing more.

> > Why not store a physical representation from
> > which the dbms can derive all the others?
>
> I am not sure what you mean here.

I can see that. Video has multiple possible representations. Why force anyone to choose? Why not support all the possible representations as one logical type?