Re: The Foundation of OO (XDb)

From: Topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: 17 Jun 2002 12:51:51 -0700

> What was wrong with the representation I gave?
> I like it a lot better than yours

  1. It was about food and not media libraries
  2. It will tend to wrap if it gets too long. Keeping schemas vertical makes wrap problems less likely (for usenet purposes).

> Why not assume user-defined type support? I assume it.

Do you mean "media format types"? I did not define nor limit who can change what. That is an orthogonal issue IMO.

> Why should we force users to deal with filenames?

This is the developer's perspective, not the users. I did not define nor limit user interfaces here. That is an orthogonal issue.

> Does the user even have access to that directory?
> If they are absolute path names, how do we ensure all computers
> have that drive mapped to the same drive letter?

Those kind of things are going to be issues regardless of our development strategy. How or where you put the actual media files/blobs is going to assume some platform or storage mechanism. It is okay if we assume an HTTP (web) interface for discussion purposes?

> Why not store a physical representation from
> which the dbms can derive all the others?

I am not sure what you mean here.

-T- Received on Mon Jun 17 2002 - 21:51:51 CEST

Original text of this message