Re: object oriented vs object relational

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 17:55:50 -0400

"James" <jraustin1_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:a6e74506.0206142153.7b65cc9b_at_posting.google.com...
> > > The object is the fundamental atomic unit.
> >
> > Is an object a variable or a value? (Or a type? As your recent post in
> > comp.databases seems to indicate.
> > I guess, if the object is the fundamental atomic unit, objects have no
> > components.
>
> At the logical level, XDb's obj represent a thing (ie 5).
> the obj has two operators, instantiate and classify.

I am not familiar with the instantiate operation on integer values. What does 5.instantiate do?

> At implementation level, XDb's obj still represents 5 and store the 5
> as data which can be of various types.

5 only has one most specific type.

> > > An object can represents anything: a number, a word, a sound, a
> > > picture, a movie, a smell, a feeling, an idea, etc.
> >
> > So an object is a value.
>
> At logical level, the object is a sound.
> At physical level, the object has data (maybe store as mpg)

A value is data at both the logical and physical levels. It is information at the conceptual level. MPEG or MP3 are physical representations or encodings of values and not values. Received on Sat Jun 15 2002 - 23:55:50 CEST

Original text of this message