Re: object oriented vs object relational

From: James <jraustin1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Jun 2002 22:53:07 -0700

> > The object is the fundamental atomic unit.
>
> Is an object a variable or a value? (Or a type? As your recent post in
> comp.databases seems to indicate.
> I guess, if the object is the fundamental atomic unit, objects have no
> components.

At the logical level, XDb's obj represent a thing (ie 5). the obj has two operators, instantiate and classify.

At implementation level, XDb's obj still represents 5 and store the 5 as data which can be of various types.

> > An object can represents anything: a number, a word, a sound, a
> > picture, a movie, a smell, a feeling, an idea, etc.
>
> So an object is a value.

At logical level, the object is a sound. At physical level, the object has data (maybe store as mpg)

> > An object can have instances.
>
> So an object is a type. (No you've got me pointing and laughing.)

If you mean type = Class.
Yes, each object can be a class when it too has instances. An object can be an instance and class at the same time.

> > A class is an object that has or can have instances.
>
> So an object is a type.

Every object can be a class(type).
In XDb, you can make an instance of any object. Even those object that are instances.

> > An instance is an object that has a class.
>
> So, some objects are neither values nor types nor variables, because some
> have no class. ???

At physical level, all object can store data. An object can be a class or instance or both at the same time. Received on Sat Jun 15 2002 - 07:53:07 CEST

Original text of this message