Re: Coping with Ingredients

From: Graham Bellamy <dontwriteme_at_ask.first.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:17:06 +1000

Thanks Howard,
I'm going to have to have a think about how the additive 'family' numbers can be presented to the user when they add a new Material. I think I'll need a table of family numbers and their descriptions.

What happens when the ingredient needs two additives? Would the dialog box have to be a continuous form (based on a temp table??) to allow multiple additive records?

If the user later changes a base-product ingredient AppRate value, I would need to update all additive rates. It wouldn't be good practice to ask the user to input the percentages again. So I would have to store the base-product ingredient's old AppRate value, then calculate what percentages the additives came from, then re-calculate the additives' AppRates and update them.

Whew! Does this sound right to you? I hope I'm on the right track.

BTW. I know that in at least one case, the user would receive his information (from the supplier) like this:
This product should be mixed with sand in the ratio of 1 part resin to 3 parts sand. This will spread at a rate of 3.8 kg per square meter. The sand itself should be a mix of 3 different grades (say grade A, B & C) in the ratio 1:2:2 (A:B:C)

I think this is equivalent to a resin:sandA:sandB:sandC mix of 1 : 0.6 : 1.2 : 1.2 I think what I will have to get the user to do is divide (in this case) 3.8 by 4 (1 resin to 3 sand) to give the AppRate of the resin first. Then the additive rates can be entered as 0.6, 1.2 etc

Since I don't know how many different ways the suppliers give mixing instructions, I unfortunately would have to require the user to first gather the information in the appropriate format. (Albert D. Kallal would probably have my guts for garters for saying that <g> --- only kidding Mr. K... only kidding).

Thank you very much, Howard. I appreciate it.

Are there any other good ideas floating around??