Re: Coping with Ingredients

From: Steve <santus_at_penn.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 21:43:08 GMT

Graham:

I suggst you move the AppRate to the Materials table; AppRate is as an attribute of the material. TblIngredients represents a list of the materials applied to each section of the building. TblIngredients is a resolver table for the many to many relationship between TblMaterials and TblSection. You have many materials applied to many sections.

--
                            PC Datasheet
A Resource for Access, Excel and Word Applications

· Design and basic development for new applications
· Additions, Modifications and "Fixes" for existing applications
· Mentoring for do-it-yourselfers who want guidance
· Complete application design and development
· Applications Using Palm Pilot To Collect Data And
  Synchronize The Data Back To Access Or Excel

"Graham Bellamy" <dontwriteme_at_ask.first.com> wrote in message

> I am applying a surface finish to industrial floors. To an
Ingredients table, I add
> Material and Application Rate. From this (knowing the area) I
can calculate the Quantity
> of each material needed. My problem is where a material does not
have its own application
> rate, but is a percentage of another Material. I don't know how
to calculate the quantity
> of all materials and end up with this info in 'one' calculated
field of a query. I believe
> I need it in just one field so I can later use it in Reports
(total job cost, cost of jobs
> done for Month etc).
>
> Can anyone help?
> This is what the structure looks like:
>
> tblMaterials
> MatID (pk-autonum)
> MatName etc
>
> tblSection (contains properties of the section of the building)
> SectID (pk)
> Description
> FloorArea etc
>
> tblIngredients
> IngID (pk-autonum)
> SectionID (fk 1-M)
> MatID (fk 1-M)
> AppRate etc
>
> So ingredient data would look like:
> IngID SectID MatID AppRate
> 1001 12 38 0.25 (L/square meter)
> 1002 12 26 2 (kg/square meter)
>
> Material 38 might be a primer, 26 a resin compound.
> Knowing the area (say 100 square meters), the Qty is just
Area*AppRate. Easy.
> But now I need to add a pigment whose quantity is 1% of the Qty
of Resin. This doesn't fit
> into my table.
> I tried making another table for additives
> tblAdditives
> IngID (fk 1-M)
> MatID (fk with tblMaterials 1-M)
> Percentage
>
> But then when querying the Ingredients and Additives, I got two
Qty columns, and I don't