Re: relational databases

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_nospam_ncs.es>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:52:25 GMT

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002 17:43:39 -0400, "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote:

>Some are closer/truer than others. Lee Fesperman's product, FirstSQL
>(http://www.firstsql.com/), makes a good show by trying to implement Codd's
>RM/V2 with its 4 valued logic, and he has actually provided support for
>domains, which is a huge advance. I wish he would abandon SQL and NULL
>altogether, though. SQL is just too flawed a language.

It is very interesting. I agree with you on abandoning SQL, nulls and bags, or providing 2 languages like Dataphor.

>I've run into the folks at alphora (http://www.alphora.com/) a couple of
>times now, and it looks like they are doing some very interesting stuff.
>Currently, they rely on an SQL dbms to act as a storage engine, though.

I discovered it recently on Fabian Pascal web site and it is very interesting.

>Chris Date and Fabian Pascal keep dropping tantalizing hints about some new
>technology for implementing DBMSes on Fabian's website
>(http://www.dbdebunk.com/), but apparently it's still under NDA. I find the
>hints frustrating as hell, and I hope they can start talking about it freely
>soon.

I readed it, and I agree it is a bit frustrating.

They talk a lot about data independence goal. I have read an interesting paper about it:

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/tsatalos94gmap.html

It was cited on: An Introduction to Database Systems. Received on Tue Jun 11 2002 - 01:52:25 CEST

Original text of this message