Re: object oriented vs object relational

From: 9rowzn01i001 <9rowzn01i001_at_9rowzn01i001.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:00:44 +0000 (UTC)

"Carl Rosenberger" <carl_at_db4o.com> wrote in message news:ad2m2n$9m8$07$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> David McCarthy wrote:
> > Would someone please explain to me the difference between a
> > object-oriented data base model and an object relational database model?
>
> David,
>
> there is a wide range of products that call themselves
> "object databases" or "object-relational databases"
> and in some cases the marketing term has very little to
> do with the technology.
>
> Looking at the "typical" representatives, I would describe
> the principal differences as follows:

[snip]

> > I would also appreciate it, if you could point me to a reference,
> > preferably on the web, that I could use to research the advantages,
> > disadvantages , features, strength and market share of each.
>
> Akmal has posted references to some very old papers but
> the theory has not changed dramatically in the past years.

That is why the references were posted, because many of the things have not changed that much. Simply because something is old does not make it worthless. Many of the ideas from those papers have gone into products over the years.

> I do not share Akmal's impression at all that object databases
> are going down.

I base my comments on my experiences Mr. Rosenberger. If you read my poster, you will see that I was careful to state that that was the case. I feel fortunate that I have over 10 years of expereience to draw upon in a variety of different roles. How many years have you spent in OODBs?

> I have not seen too many productive statements
> from Akmal throughout the last year other than references to
> links in the web and to his dusty books and papers so I doubt
> that he really is in contact with practitioners.

What are you, a mindreader? Have you ever met me that you claim to know what I do and do not do? I post out URLs as a service to help people. Maybe that is what I enjoy doing and don't want to participate in discussions or contribute beyond that.

As for dusty books and papers, I don't think so. The books are selling quite well and I get good feedback on them. I come into contact with practioners all the time beacause I work with industry, organise workshops, events, present at confereces, etc. My record is public and available to all and I am proud of it.

> I see lots and
> lots of demand for systems that map objects to tables. If the
> interfaces to do so are further standardized (as JDO tries to,
> not too good and not too successful, I am afraid) it will not
> make a difference, whether a relational database runs behind
> the interface or an object database.

Exactly. The kind of people I meet use Oracle, DB2 etc. No way will they give-up their corporate database. JDO provides a good solution, so have they have little or no need for an OODB, since they keep their existing investment. As for your comments about JDO, just more FUD to promote your own interface and product (yet again).

--
akmal chaudhri

IBM developerWorks - http://www.ibm.com/developerWorks/
XMLDatabases ------- http://www.btinternet.com/~xmldatabases/