Re: object oriented vs object relational

From: 9rowzn01i001 <9rowzn01i001_at_9rowzn01i001.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 07:11:33 +0000 (UTC)

"David McCarthy" <daveandem_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:mbZI8.11432$UT.756827_at_bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Hello All,
>
> Would someone please explain to me the difference between a
> object-oriented data base model and an object relational database model?
>
> I would also appreciate it, if you could point me to a reference,
> preferably on the web, that I could use to research the advantages,
> disadvantages , features, strength and market share of each.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dave

There are a couple of old manifestos from the early 1990s that could be worth reading. Links are here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~xmldatabases/html/resources.html

Market share is easy. OODBs are a few % of RDB/ORDB. I've been involved with the technology for over 10 years (as a researcher, consultant, publisher) and it has never grown beyond a few %. My interest is applied-research, so I like looking at some of the business issues associated with technology adoption. You might find some of my slides/presentations useful:

http://www.btinternet.com/~xmldatabases/html/publications.html

These days (during the course of my work, networking at conferences, etc.), I rarely find anyone interested in using OODBs. Many of the vendors have also re-positioned their offerings (e.g. XML, J2EE caching). It is also hard to find any analysts (e.g. Gartner) that bother to track the OODB market anymore.

HTH

--
akmal chaudhri

IBM developerWorks - http://www.ibm.com/developerWorks/