Re: design advice needed

From: Ben Wallach <wallach.ben_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 06:27:03 GMT

> A question. Why is the lack of transactions in MySQL an issue?
> Unless you are doing something really off-the-wall all of the
> information for a form should be entered at one time and never
> modified once it is in the system. If you use the
> commit/rollback facilities of MySQL (and your operating system
> supports them) no one can see the data for a form until you
> issue a commit in your data entry program. As a result your
> data will always be consistent.

Maybe I am missing something, but the "commit/rollback facilities" are transactions. MySql does actually support them, but it is a realtively new feature which worries me a little bit (stability). Obviouslly with approach-2, I would have to use a transaction when doing so many inserts...

Thanks
Ben Received on Mon Apr 15 2002 - 08:27:03 CEST

Original text of this message