Re: Modelling datas and userids

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2002 15:37:30 -0800

>> I started with a CreatedDate and a CreatedBy. Then I added
ModifiedDate and ModifiedBy. Now I need a few more date/name pairs to track various steps in a publication process. <<

Without any DDL, we can only guess at what you want in this "vague non-specification"; you are tracking the histroy of something? What are the rules of the actions applied to it? Etc.

CREATE TABLE History
(item_id INTEGER NOT NULL

         REFERENCES Items(item_id)
         ON DELETE CASCADE
         ON UPDATE CASCADE,
 action_id INTEGER NOT NULL
            REFERENCES Action(action_id)
            ON UPDATE CASCADE,

 action_time TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,  PRIMARY KEY(item_id, action_id) -- once for each action -- PRIMARY KEY(item_id, action_id, action_time) -- same action, many times
);

Do actions have a duration instead of a creation timepoint? Etc. Received on Fri Mar 15 2002 - 00:37:30 CET

Original text of this message