Modelling datas and userids

From: Neil Burnett <neil_at_efc.be>
Date: 13 Mar 2002 12:28:05 -0800

I started with a CreatedDate and a CreatedBy. Then I added ModifiedDate and ModifiedBy. Now I need a few more date/name pairs to track various steps in a publication process.

It seems like I have ended up with a table that has the dreaded 'repeating groups' problem. In fact, I have about 20 tables like that. Can I simply put them into one table:

Flow: EntityPK, StepCode, Date, PersonName

Steps: StepCode, StepDescription

Person: PersonName

EntityA: PK, ...

---

EntityB: PK, ...

---

EntityC: PK, ...

---

and so on...

where the EntityPKs are all varchar(15) but not from the same domain? i.e. they are alphanumeric strings from different ranges that mean something visually to the user (but aren't used in the database for anything other than a primary key).

I am having trouble with setting the relationships between Flow and the Entities.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Regards

Neil Received on Wed Mar 13 2002 - 21:28:05 CET

Original text of this message