Re: when to use a DB

From: siva chelliah <podian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Mar 2002 11:21:50 -0800

I am not convinced that having large amount of data will justify a DB. Do I have to look at things like is there any complex relationship between those data etc?

In my project data is static and do not change after loaded into the DB (for example previous day statistics information about a network). Only thing I need to do is to generate various kind of reports from that. But, for example, if I can sequentially traverse the table and generate a report, why do I need a DB for?

First I was thinking of a flat file. Then I was considering why not load the data into objects (java or C++), regerate reports, and discard those objects.

But If I look into the future, there may be a need to keep the data for several days (if the customer wants to re-generate an old report, for example).

Siva