Re: development open source database server

From: Andreas Bauer <baueran_at_in.tum.de>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 18:01:55 GMT

> I am an undergraduate student of electrical engineering, majoring in
> Computer System, from Indonesia. I am working on my Final Project,
> which is the development of query processing in database server.
> I would be glad if any of you could tell me where I can find resources
> (primarily algorithms and theories) dealing with the subject - query
> processing, or database server development in general.
> Thank you for your kind attention. Help from any of you would do me a
> great favor.

What aspects of query processing do you have to implement or describe? Query processing includes a lot of (more or less) complicated steps, like scanning and parsing your input stream, building a canonical translation diagram for semantic analysis optimisation, etc. Basically a lot of thinks 'normal' compilers have to do.

The first few steps are can be done almost automatically using common tools and techniques known from compiler construction. You may already have experience with flex and yacc, and the like.

The other steps depend on what you want to achieve. Query optimisation is an open research field (technically), but yields a lot of standard methods as well. For example, you can use the canonical translation and push Joins down your 'syntax tree' to keep the intermediate results little and overall performance up. But there are really a lot of ways to logically optimise database queries. And having understood relational algebra, they are rather obvious, too.

I just wanted to give a brief overview on what I think there is to do and what is involved in this subject. I doubt you'll be implementing all of the steps, especially the first few. You'll probably want to focus on optimisation only. So, I suggest you simply post some of your ideas and ask more specific questions.

Hope it helped you a little bit,
Andi

--
Andreas Bauer, baueran at in.tum.de, http://home.in.tum.de/baueran/
"A commune is where people join together to share their lack of