Re: looking for 'ER diagram' examples

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 23:00:01 GMT

Edward,

I still like this site for a simple, low level overview of E-R modeling and Relational design.

http://www.utexas.edu/cc/database/datamodeling/index.html

Other people in this forum have criticized it, with some validity, but I have yet to find a site I prefer.

The important thing to remember about E-R modeling, IMO, is that it was invented to provide a vehicle for recording the CONCEPTUAL data model, not the logical or physical data models. As such, the E-R model should reflect a maximum of the relationships between data items that are inherent in the subject matter itself, and not a consequence of design choices in the solution.

In particular, I have seen E-R models (decades ago, now) that were equally valid for a relational database implementation or for an implementation based on networks of records.

--
Regards,
    David Cressey