Re: Nested set model for graphs

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2002 14:03:04 -0800

>> It is possible to use the nested set model for graphs of any kind.
Hint : for graphs that aren't trees, a node can have more than just one interval <<

Let me if you find something, let me know.

When I have to model a general graph, I fall back to the adjacency list model or the adjacency array model. If the graph is a lattice (is that the right term?), then I can decompose it into a tree with repeated nodes.

I like the adjacency array model because I can convert it easily into an adjacency list model. But you get a very wide table for a real graph...

CREATE TABLE Graph
(node CHAR(5) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
 node_nbr INTEGER NOT NULL

          CHECK (node_nbr BETWEEN 1 AND nn),  n1 INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0

    CHECK (n1 IN (0,1)),
 n2 INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0

    CHECK (n2 IN (0,1)),
 nn INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0

    CHECK (nn IN (0,1))); Received on Tue Feb 19 2002 - 23:03:04 CET

Original text of this message