Re: JDO comparisons

From: Marc Prud'hommeaux <marc_at_solarmetric.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 02:38:26 GMT

In comp.databases.object Angus Monro <ajmonro_at_ingennia.com.au> wrote:

> Specifically, we are considering three possibilities:
> (1) continue doing what we're already doing i.e. writing our own
> relational db access code via JDBC

JDO is gaining vendor support, and will probably become the standard in object-oriented data access. I would strongly recommend going with a JDO implementation over hand-rolling it, for the following reasons:

  1. one less segment of your code to have to maintain
  2. JDO implementations will only get better over time
  3. JDO is designed to be vendor-independant, so you can always swap out implementations should a vendor come out with a better version than you are using. While "vendor independance" is a bit of a myth these days (just try swapping EJB Containers or JDBC drivers, and see how much of your code continues to work), JDO will hopefully usher in a new era where programmers can utilize a standard data access service and be confident that it will work in any environment.

Well, I am biased, but I would say: go with Kodo! You can download a free evaluation at http://www.solarmetric.com.

--
Marc Prud'hommeaux      marc_at_solarmetric.com
SolarMetric Inc.        http://www.solarmetric.com