Re: Proposed Solution :: DB Design Dilemma!! One DB or Many DBs??

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:45:56 -0500

Rob,

I think you're making it too complicated. You're splitting it into multiple databases to handle security issues - when one database can easily handle the security issues for you.

You're creating a maintenance nightmare - what happens if one database gets backed up but not the other, for instance.

Performance always suffers when you're accessing multiple databases instead of just one database.

Application code to handle your design will be much more complex, allowing for more potential errors (and potentially *decreased security*, for instance).

Future changes will be much harder to implement (and there will always be future changes needed).

The simpler the design, the more flexibility you will have.

I could go on. But the bottom line is your design is awkward and needlessly complicated. DB2 already has security features built in (i.e. GRAND and REVOKE on views) which will give you the necessary security but keep your design much simpler.

<other stuff snipped>

--
To reply, delete the 'x' from my email

Jerry Stuckle