Re: Generic Modeling

From: James <jraustin1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 4 Jan 2002 12:30:41 -0800

> Again, nobody here has shown definitively why generic modeling of data
> in an RDB isn't good enough.

Generic modelling in a rdb is possible, but it is awkward. A rdb is not meant/optimized to be used this way (where nearly every thing ends up on its own row and many tree like joins have to performed to reconstruct the data).

I have used this technique on some projects and these were some of the affects:
1. Could only use the simpler SQL.
2. Data manipulation via VB + simple SQL + lots of iterations/recursions.
3. Execution time (ie generate reports) was considerable and impractical in our case.

Also I found the need to have a variant field which was implemented using text which further slowed things down. Have you seen the need for a variant field in your generic modelling?

So if execution time is not critical and you dont mind a bit of coding, may be it would be ok. Received on Fri Jan 04 2002 - 21:30:41 CET

Original text of this message