Re: UNIQUE and NULL in SQL

From: Brian Smith <brian-l-smith_at_uiowa.edu>
Date: 31 Dec 2001 20:06:09 -0800

brian-l-smith_at_uiowa.edu (Brian Smith) wrote in message news:<60360d48.0112291928.2e7c5818_at_posting.google.com>...
> What is the rationale for having a UNIQUE constraint treat NULLS as
> equal?

I see I made a big mistake in not specifically refering to SQL database, and in particular the ANSI SQL standard. I was really just wanting to know the ANSI commitees rationale for this behavior. My guess is that the ANSI SQL commitee just standardized on what current implementations were doing at the time. Is my guess wrong?

Please keep in mind that I am asking about "SQL theory" not "relational theory".

Thanks,
Brian Received on Tue Jan 01 2002 - 05:06:09 CET

Original text of this message