Re: What are the limits to the usefulness of normalization?

From: James <jraustin1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 31 Dec 2001 21:20:14 -0800

> Oh dear, Dwaun!

Translation: You are a close significant of mine.

> I apologize for not following this newsgroup as much as I would like. I see
> that all of the previous answers you received to your question were not only
> incorrect but dangerously incorrect.

Translation: I look damn good in the mirror and you are lucky to have my presense.

> Sadly, vendors have (so far) failed to provide adequate independence between
> the logical model and physical layout of the data, and few practitioners
> know or can appreciate the distinction between the conceptual and logical
> levels of discourse. Subsequently, both vendors and practitioners frequently
> blame normalization for their own failings.
Translation: I could do it better if I wanted to but it is easier to look down my nose and also you and others are dumb.

> I would direct you to "C. J. Date, _Relational Database Writings 1991-1994_,
> I would also direct you to Fabian Pascal's latest book _Practical Issues in
Translation: Here are some books that I wrote for dummies like you because there is no way you understood what the heck I just explained to you.

All kidding aside, Bob's tirade was surgically correct with respect to rdbs. See www.xdb1.com/Normalization.asp for equivalent from an oodb's point-of-view. Received on Tue Jan 01 2002 - 06:20:14 CET

Original text of this message