Re: DB required to list multiple D.I.V.O.R.C.E.S. & Re-marriages

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:25:53 GMT

> Don't you just love NULLs

I remember the "Much Ado about nothing"  thread in this NG,  a while back.

In a fully normalized database,  there is no need for NULLS.  Every NULL can be construed as the consequence of an outer join between more elementary tables.

I contend that a mathematical RELATION has no nulls.  If you accept that, if follows that NULLS are a divergence between Relational algebra and the relational model of data.  Ducking!

--
Regards,
    David Cressey