Re: How to make RDBMS ?

From: <D_at_B.A>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 23:53:29 GMT

In article <3C1A41B5.2070104_at_email.com>, tony says...

>Hi there.
>First of all, If my question totally doesn't relate to this newsgroup,
>I'm so sorry... since I couldn't find newsgroups for my question, I
>posted here.
>
>I'm thinking to make RDBMS itself with C or C++ language.
>Before starting, I already got problems...
>SELECT * FROM table1;
>As you guys know, the statement above retrieve all records in the table1.
>It's easy to retrieve from memory, but if the table1 has 1,000,000 rows
>and 10 columns, what RDBMS should do with that huge table ?
>The RDBMS should put all records in the memory ? 1,000,000 rows & 10
>columns r fine, but if the table has 1,000,000,000 & 1,000 columns ?
>This is totally wasting memory space if the RDBMS put the all records in
> to memory.
>
>anybody knows how RDBMS treats those tables(files) ?

Garcia-Molina&Ullman&Widom book would give you the feeling how complex database implementation is. Expect even more complexity for real databases. Oracle Performance tuning manual alone is 300 pages or so... Received on Sat Dec 15 2001 - 00:53:29 CET

Original text of this message