Re: The Fact of relational algebra (was Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?)

From: Jan Emil Larsen <jel_at_g-it.dk>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 12:20:50 +0100

"Adrian Veith" <adrian_at_veith-system.de> skrev i en meddelelse news:9ngc8f$de9$05$1_at_news.t-online.com...

> ... If I use the term relation, I mean two tables, that are associated by
> a key. I hope you don't mind, that I will use the term relation in this
way.

Some of us do mind, as it makes discussions on the subject at hand ("databases") very confusing: "Relation" is THE essential concept in RDBMS, and it is certainly not what you mean by your use of the word. I might suggest that you think/say "relation" when you say "table", and say "relationship" when you think "relation" - this would be closer to the concepts....
Better yet: learn the basics of the topic you talk about! You may have some useful ideas to share, but they are obscured by wrong arguments, based on either lack of knowlegde or wrong use of terminology.

No spam intended!

Regards
Jan Emil Larsen Received on Sat Dec 01 2001 - 12:20:50 CET

Original text of this message