Re: I've got a strange database question for you ?

From: Paul Linehan <plinehan_at_not.a.chance.ie>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:09:00 GMT

 peter <peterp100_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>But, in general why would a business or group want use a database ?

To record, store and analyse data.

>Also, what is a good database to study, of course a product/business
>database would do, but what about something more interesting like a
>scientific database (seti) or something like dejanews ?

I think that you're a bit confused here.

Seti (I presume that you mean Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) is a scientific project that runs on your machine when you have spare cpu cycles - it uses the internet to download info from the seti site and analyse it and then sends the results back (if any? not sure here) - it does not (AFAIK) implement any sort of database on your machine.

Now, the people who run SETI most likely use a database, but I'm not sure that you'd be able to access it directly.

As for Dejanews - it is something which *_uses_* a database, but is not itself a database, nor (probably) is it suitable for studying databases.

> Can you help
>point me to some interesting databases on the internet.

Check out some basic undergraduate texts - or if you have to use the internet - go to google and type in "database basics" or some similar phrase.

If you want to run one on your PC (I'm assuming that you have one) try www.ibphoenix.com - free and open source.

Other freebies include Postgres and MySQL (not free for commercial use though!). You can also get (for free AFAIK) Oracle Lite or MS SQL Desktop Edtion.

Paul...

--

moc.oohay_at_nahenilp

If you think this email address will work, you've
go me all backwards.